Powered by Blogger.

Cuentos de Abuelito...Reloaded!

If you've visited my old blog (REH ILLUSTRATED), be forewarned, I'll be reposting most everything from that site on CROM!, although a lot of it will be updated, so it may still be worth a look!

As you probably know, the Mexican comic book Cuentos de Abuelito ("Stories from my Grandfather") was the very first comic book with stories featuring Conan on the planet! (actually it was Belit who stole the spotlight, and Conan was but one of her sidekicks). These stories emerged in 1952, some 18 years before "Conan The Barbarian" by Marvel Comics Group, and were an adaptation of the Robert E. Howard story "The Queen of the Black Coast”. Below are ALL the images I've come across regarding this series to date (including some brand new stuff!). To the best of my knowledge, all of the artwork is courtesy of the late, great, Salvador Hermoso Lavalle.

Cuentos de Abuelito #8 - Sept, 1952

Cuentos de Abuelito #17 - Nov,1952

Cuentos de Abuelito Presents - Jan,1953

Cuentos de Abuelito #42 - 1953



Cuentos de Abuelito #42 (Interior Samples) - 1953

Cuentos de Abuelito #42 (Back Cover) - 1953

I'll admit, I've touched up (i.e. photoshopped) some of these scans/photos, but let's be honest, they were altered the minute they became 0's and 1's. I'm only trying to more accurately represent what these comics would have looked like when they were "hot off the press", so we can enjoy them in all their glory! Here's a "before and after" of one of the covers, to give you an idea of exactly what monkey business I'm up to...


Want to learn more about this comic and it's successor(s), La Reina de la Costa Negra ("The Queen of the Black Coast")? Check out some of my sources (Spanish translation may be required):

Baúl del Comic
Marvel’s Savage Sword of Conan issues #26 and #44

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP