Powered by Blogger.

Conan, the Soundtrack!

Sorry, no inside info...just some contemplation.

Although my number one pastime these days is anything and everything computer related, and a whole lot of REH (well, mostly REH inspired comics), when I close the laptop, I often pick up a guitar, and belt out a few songs to the delight of my family (or perhaps disdain, hell I just don’t know anymore).

It got me thinking about the possibility of the new Conan and Red Sonja movies, and just what might be in store for us when it comes to a soundtrack. I Immediately thought of Molly Hatchet, largely because of their association with Frazetta artwork.


But would their music be a fit for a Conan movie?…well, no. But their Official Website is pretty cool! I am a big fan of Metal and Hard Rock and such, and there is (perhaps thanks to Black Sabbath) a pretty strong connection between Power Metal (is that what the kids call it these days?) and Fantasy. But could a score filled with Metal stand up in a Conan movie? Hmmm…

This got me thinking about a blood soaked Conan battle scene, heads a rolling, while Iron Maiden’s “Die With Your Boots On” is shredding our eardrums into small bits…


…Or perhaps Ozzy (or Ronnie James Dio, take your pick) causing our heads to explode (think Scanners, ha ha) with Sabbath’s “War Pigs” as Conan rides fearlessly into battle…


Hell, maybe even Conan in the midst of rescuing a fine young virgin from some sacrificial ceremony whilst Godsmack’s “Bad Religion” thumps away at our cores…again, loud enough to make the popcorn jump right out of our buckets.


OK that might be a bit of a stretch, but I can’t seem to ever get tired of that song! Well, I had to stop writing for a bit, so I could pick up a guitar and serenade the family with my rendition of Manowar’s “Heart of Steel”. That felt so right!


Can you imagine leaving a Conan movie with yours ears ringing (and perhaps for most of the next day), just like after a rock concert?

I’ll admit, I was a teenager with a love of all things Sword & Sorcery (& Fantasy), and when I first watched Conan the Barbarian, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Perhaps the soundtrack was a primary reason. Some people suggest that the score for Conan the Barbarian is the best thing about that movie…some are even saying “Best Movie Soundtrack Ever!” Well! I just gave the likes of “Anvil of Crom”, “The Gift of Fury”, and “Battle of the Mounds” another listen. Damn, that is good stuff! Basil Poledouris makes it pretty hard to argue for a heavy metal soundtrack.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP